Friday, May 31, 2019

Free College Admissions Essays: Born to Write? :: College Admissions Essays

Born to Write?   Two years ago, when I was a junior, I wrote the story It Came from Catholic School, which Ive included in my writing portfolio. My friends, fellow veterans of plaid uniforms and daily masses, liked it and encouraged me to submit it when the school magazine make its annual call for stories. They published the story and asked me to read from it at a reading primarily devoted to student poetry.   Well, I was pretty nervous astir(predicate) this. The only readings Id done before a crowd were Pauls letters to the Ephesians and the occasional Responsorial Psalm-and that wasnt my writing on the line. I grew more nervous as I sit down there that night, listening to poem after poem on angst and ennui. I couldnt imagine how the students and faculty around me, who were all listening intently with properly writhed faces, would respond to my grotesque little girl. But I stood up and read a passage, a little shaky at first. Then I comprehend laughs, where Id hoped I would, and also in places that surprised me. After the reading, people wanted to shake my hand. One woman thanked me for injecting a little levity into the proceedings. I felt gladness in my work as never before.   At that reading, I realized I could write things that made people laugh-not just friends who felt obligated, but cope strangers. I really liked that feeling, and its the promise of that laughter that motivates me to continue writing. I also realized that my work wasnt frivolous, that I could influence a reader, that my characters seemed real. For the first time, I felt that I could do what I really wanted to do-write.   I look forward to progressing through a series of intimate workshops en track to a degree at your school. The interdisciplinary nature of the program appeals to me. Although I want to concentrate on Fiction, I would like to take screenwriting electives as well. I think my humor translates well to teleplays, and I would like to explore that ave nue through the comedy writing courses your school offers. I aim to develop my indispensable strengths-humor, voice, and dialogue, while experimenting with the genres. Because Im generally at the mercy of my characters, I cant outline a specific writing goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment